This is a sort of inspired post from here. I wouldn't do any justice if i said i tweaked it. I took the measurements as it is and changed some ingredients (well, many..). Firstly i substituted half of the mashed bananas with apple puree. Secondly i replaced AP flour with Whole wheat flour. As for the third tweak, i replaced white sugar with demerera. The resulting texture and aroma was good the next day with the sweet strong smell of demerera and nutmeg (i prefer nutmeg over cinnamon, too pungent).
I am not preaching austerity or health benefits folks, Diwali is round the corner, so i am saving the calories for the gastronomic gushes and the overload my stomach is going to take over the month end. :-)
Here is the original + inspired recipe
|Banana(she used dole, long variety)||2 (i used one banana and one apple)|
|Flour||3/4 cup (replaced with whole wheat flour)|
|Sugar||1/2 of a 3/4 cup (less than half cup of demerera)|
|Baking powder||1/2 tsp|
|Baking soda||1/2 tsp|
|Vanilla essence||1/2 tsp (replaced with 1/2 tsp of nutmeg)|
- Pre heat oven to 190oC
- Take the peeled bananas in a bowl and mash it well with hands to make it a paste. Add oil,vanilla sugar to it and mix well. Keep a side.
- Mix flour,baking powder,baking soda in another bowl with a whisk.
- Fold gently,do not over mix,just mix well so that every thing blends properly and don't beat,with 3/4 th of the walnuts added to it,reserve some for sprinkling on the top.
- Line the muffin tray with paper liners and spoon the batter in it up to 3/4 th of it. It will raise so much so make sure you leave room for it.Top with some walnut sprinkled over it.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the toothpick inserted comes out clean and top turns golden brown.Mine got baked at around 28 minutes itself,so keep an eye after 25 minutes.